Public confused by National Grid plans, say anti-pylons protesters (From Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WEEKLY NEWS to 80360 or email us
Public confused by National Grid plans, say anti-pylons protesters
ANTI-PYLON protestors say National Grid needs to revise its ‘unclear’ proposals for the Hinkley C to Avonmouth connection route, after final public consultations meeting took place last week.
National Grid showcased its full details of the proposed connection route – needed if a third nuclear power station at Hinkley Point gets the go-ahead – at the meetings across Bridgwater and Mark.
But campaigners believe the “vague” wording of the documents and diagrams needs to be changed before people can make a proper judgement on the proposals.
Maggie Gregory from Pylon-Moor-Pressure said: “People have interpreted National Grid’s information to mean that a line carried on T-pylons will be lower than the existing 132,000 volt line, and as a result the ‘blot on the landscape’ produced by pylons will be reduced - this is not the case.
“The T-pylon is nine metres higher than the Western Power line and I have pointed out to National Grid that their consultation material is unclear and asked them to restart this important exercise.
“They need to issue revised material which clearly demonstrates the scale of the T-pylon in relation to the existing line and in relation to the enormous lattice pylon which may be as high as 50 metres.”
Under National Grid’s plans, 90 pylons would disappear from the Somerset landscape, while the 35-metre T-pylon, a third shorter than the traditional lattice pylon, would be used for much of the overhead route.
A spokesman for National Grid said: “In no way are we trying to confuse or mislead the public.
“We have always been clear that the height of the T-pylon is 35 metres relative to the equivalent typical steel lattice pylon which is 46.5 metres, making it around a third shorter. The existing 132,000 volt pylons are 26.4 metres.”
Meanwhile, a man who is hoping to become Burnham and Highbridge’s next MP says anti-pylons protesters would be better off directing their complaints at the Government than National Grid.
Speaking after a weekend consultation event in Mark, James Heappey, who is set to stand for the Conservatives at the next General Election, said: “Unless we can find a game-changing local reason for National Grid to not go overground specifically on our stretch of line here in Mark, Tarnock and Compton Bishop, it is, sadly, unlikely they’ll give in here and set a precedent for lines across the UK.
“Going underground or, better still, sub-sea might only become an option National Grid accepts if it is forced by a change to the legislation that governs their activities at the moment.”
However, Burnham and Highbridge MP Tessa Munt said people should contact National Grid.
She said: “These pylons would be a huge blight on the landscape, there are alternatives and I continue to urge National Grid to seriously consider them.”
A National Grid consultation vehicle will be at Morrisons in Burnham next Thursday (October 3) from 9.30am to 4pm.
Alternatively, more information on the project can be found at www.hinkleyconnection.co.uk
Comments are closed on this article.