Government announces more support for male victims of sexual abuse (From Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WEEKLY NEWS to 80360 or email us
Government announces more support for male victims of sexual abuse
8:30pm Tuesday 18th February 2014 in News
MALE victims of rape and sexual violence will receive access to vital help and support, thanks to a £500,000 grant from the Government.
Victims minister Damian Green says the funding will provide services like advice and counselling to help make male victims who previously have not been able to receive such support and encourage them to come forward.
He said: “We believe around 12% of rapes are against men yet many choose not to come forward, either to report the crime or seek support. I am determined to help break the silence on a subject still seen as taboo.”