Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting WEEKLY NEWS to 80360 or email us
Highbridge Hotel challenge 'immense', say council bosses
3:00pm Wednesday 18th July 2012 in Highbridge
SEDGEMOOR District Council has described the challenge of investing new life into the Highbridge Hotel site as “immense”.
The Weekly News ran an exclusive front page story last week, in which site owner Derek Mead said the Grade II listed hotel, which was devastated by fire in April 2008, could be transformed into a community facility run by the YMCA.
Mr Mead also said there could be around 60 houses and three shops elsewhere on the site.
The district council, while not directly addressing Mr Mead’s suggestions, said this week it had been working with Burnham and Highbridge Town Council and Mr Mead on future uses for the site.
A district council spokesman said: “With elements of the Grade II listed building still standing, the challenge to secure a viable and achievable solution is immense.
“There have been many meetings with interested parties and the owners over the years as to the redevelopment of the whole ex-market site and re-use of the former hotel badly damaged by fire. As with all schemes of this nature, some ideas presented are not feasible, practical or affordable.”
Last week, Highbridge district councillor Joe Leach said there was growing public concern in Highbridge about the future of the site.
He said: “I think Sedgemoor District Council should be issuing some sort of official statement because there are lots of rumours flying around on this one.”
However, the council spokesman said: “As Sedgemoor District Council is the planning authority to which any planning application will be submitted, it cannot comment on any potential uses until a planning application is received, where it will go through all the normal consultation processes.
“SDC can only comment on a submitted application; the council will not give informal views as to any information or rumour that is publically available.”