FOOTBALL: Taunton Saturday league round-up

Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News: FOOTBALL: Taunton Saturday league round-up FOOTBALL: Taunton Saturday league round-up

SECOND division Dulverton won 2-1 at first division Staplegrove reserves 2-1 to move through to the third round of the League Knockout Cup.

Dulverton took an early lead with a clever flick from Josh Hopkins with his back to goal. Grove had a strong shout for a penalty for a foul on Adam Smith but the referee gave an indirect for a high foot instead. With 25 minutes to go Dulverton broke quickly out of their own half and good interplay resulted in Storm Arnold giving his side a 2-0 lead. Grove threw everything they had at Town to get back into the game and on 80 minutes were awarded a penalty when Jordan Lukins was brought down on the edge of the box.

Smith’s blasted shot was palmed back to him and the Grove man made no mistake at the second attempt. Grove pressed hard for the elusive equaliser in the last few minutes of the game but Dulverton held out.

An all Division One clash saw Locomotives beat Alcombe Rovers 3-1 on a heavy pitch. Ryan Vickery scored two for Locos with James Weaver heading the third. Luke Howells grabbed the Rovers goal.

Rowbarton Charity Cup First Round MINEHEAD reserves upset league form against fellow Division Two side Stogursey with a comprehensive 4-1 victory. Craig Carr gave Minehead a 1-0 half-time lead before the tie was settled by further goals from Lee Todd, Brian Hall and Ben Robinson.

Division One Veteran Highbridge striker Wayne Hand scored twice for his side to give them a 2-0 victory over Hamilton Hawks and move them up to third.

Middlezoy Rovers Reserves recorded a 3-0 victory against their high flying opponents Sampford Blues.

Porlock had a 4-1 home win over Bishops Lydeard, Adam Langdon scored twice, Luke Freeman and Brandon Walsh once each, Jordan Clapp replied for Lydeard.

Division Two Leaders Appletree Tone Youth were five points clear of opponents Blagdon Hill at the start of the day but Blagdon had three games in hand so this contest was really important to both clubs. In the event an entertaining match finished 3-3. Appletree took an early lead through Matt Blee but find themselves 2-1 down by half time following a couple well-worked breakaway goals Pat Sherwood.

Appletree, who played most the first half with only ten men, predictable looked stronger when they were finally up to full strength. They deservedly took a 3-2 lead thanks to Matt Blee’s second and an own goal before a contentious penalty saw Benjamin Graddon level the scores.

Steve Cottey netted Wyvern Rangers in their 1-1 draw at Nether Stowey.

Hamilton Athletic lost 5-2 to Westonzoyland, their goals coming from Ben Lewis and Tom Wadham.

Division Three Wyvern Rangers Guns stay third despite losing 4-3 at home to Alcombe Rovers Reserves. Harry Hall scored a hat trick with Lewis Ahmet getting the fourth to earn Alcombe side all three points. Rob Watts got two for Guns and Tyler Smith the other.

Sydenham Rangers closed the gap on Wyvern but only by a point as they only managed a 3-3 draw at home to Galmington Dragons.

Galmington trailed 1-0 at the break before taking a 3-1 lead with goals from Chris and Oliver Tucker scoring as did Tim Bottomley. Rangers pulled one back and then rallied to snatch a point despite having a man sent off.

Milverton Rangers drew 2-2 with Bridgwater Sports reserves, Lloyd Udall getting both their goals.

Division Four Leaders Tone Youth and second placed Sampford Blues Reserves weren’t playing and that gave third-placed Dulverton Town reserves the chance to close the gap which they did with a 4-2 home win over Williton. Martin Edworthy hit a hat-trick for the home side and Connor O’Neil scored the fourth. Charlie McKeown and Dan Godfrey replied for the away side.

Norton Fitzwarren beat North Petherton reserves 5-1 with Scott Mervin grabbing the first three North goals. Right back Jason Earl lobbed the keeper with a cheeky flick then Liam Bleeks rounded off the scoring from the penalty spot.

Porlock travelled to West Somerset rivals Exmoor Rangers and secured a 3-1 victory thanks to two goals from Dave Farmer and one from Sean Kenny. Ben Gregory replied for Rangers.

Division Five Leaders Ash Rangers recorded their tenth straigh victory with a 7-0 defeat of Norton Fitzwarren Reserves. Both Lewis Scutt and Ben Bartlett got a brace while Harvey Puddy, Rhys Allen and Senna Clapp added a goal each. Wiveliscombe stayed in touch with 3-1 victory over East Bower. Lloyd Cuthbert and Edd French both scored while Bower provided their third with an own goal.

Staplegrove Colts have now made it nine games on the bounce without a defeat, their latest performance a 4-0 victory over Morganians reserves.

Ian Bishop used his pace to give Grove the lead and later confidently dispatched two penalties. Colts’s other scorer was centre back Simon Ware who rifled home a bullet header from a corner. Creech Cougars beat Hamilton Athletic Foxes 7-0. Chris Sealy scored a hat-trick with other goals coming from Aaron and Jordan Cozens, Carl Reed and Rob Boyland. A sluggish midfield display cost Galmington Dragons reserves dear as they lost 2-0 at home to Bridgwater Grasshoppers.

A lucky cross from the left found the back of the net for the first and the second squeezed through the keeper's legs and trickled agonisingly over the line.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree