Somerset County First Division

Burnham United 2, Frome Collegians 3

BURNHAM United manager Luke Hussey praised the character of his side as they were narrowly beaten by league leaders Frome Collegians on Saturday.

United fought back from 2-0 down to draw level at half-time, before a freak goal won the game for Frome in the second-half – and Hussey believes his side will learn from the game.

He said: "Disappointed that our own errors contributed to the defeat, but pleased that even when 2-0 down we stayed in the game and didn't panic or change the game plan.

"Getting Waz Mylum back into the squad was a real bonus. We all understand that we aren't consistent enough at the moment and we have to learn lessons quicker but as our young squad develop together I'm confident we will improve and get results that match our performance."

Burnham fell behind after just six minutes from a shot from outside of the box.

Despite the early set back Burnham controlled possession and made life difficult for the visitors.

Chances were created but none converted and with very little threat coming from Frome, United made life difficult for themselves with an under hit back pass which the pacey Frome striker latched onto and slotted past Will Lamb.

To their credit, Burnham didn’t panic and with Stevens and Hartnup pulling the strings in midfield and Cleave a real threat down the flanks, United continued to look the more dangerous and most likely to score next.

Warren Whitfield, playing in his last fixture of the season, scored with a bullet header after 36 minutes – and United were now completely on top.

An excellent piece of defending from Ed Lamb allowed Dave Bidgood to hit a perfect pass to Matty Scott, whose powerful cross was deflected into the roof of the Frome net to draw Burnham level on 45 minutes.

The second half was an evenly matched affair with both sides attacking and defending well.

But Frome snatched the win with a goal direct from a corner in the 65th minute.

Warren Mylum made his first appearance of the season after a long layoff and immediately made an impact with some defence splitting passes, but United couldn't find an equaliser.

Burnham face another tough fixture next weekend (March 29) as they travel to second-placed Wrington Redhill.