Somerset County League
Division 1 West
Uphill Castle 2, Burnham United 0

BURNHAM United’s first game of 2018 ended in a 2-0 defeat away at Uphill Castle, playing on a difficult wet pitch following the recent bad weather.

Uphill took the lead on 10 minutes from a free-kick which was headed down and scrambled home.

Burnham took the game to their hosts with constant possession, pushing the home team back, but Uphill made it 2-0 with a strike from outside the box against the run of play.

The visitors still looked confident, continuing to attack, but couldn’t pull a goal back before half-time.

The second half again began with United pushing forward, but they were unable to create any clear-cut goal scoring chances to get back into the game.

Man of the match (sponsored by Fusion Leisure): Paul Grant

Somerset County League
Division 2
Burnham United Reserves 0, Chew Magna 5

BURNHAM Reserves started poorly, going 1-0 down after five minutes, and played the first half poorly, creating very few chances.

In the second half the home side started much better, but for all their possession they could not find the back of the net.

The visitors then managed to scramble the ball into the net for 2-0.

Burnham started to chase the game and left gaps at the back, allowing the away team to score three further goals near the end.

Man of the match (sponsored by Fusion Leisure): Steve Worthington

Vardon Cup
Burnham United A 5, Uphill Castle A 0

BURNHAM’S A team moved into the semi-final of the league cup with their best performance of the season, beating the team that are currently second in the table.

The hosts started well and Steve Eley had a chance, but shot narrowly wide.

Jesse McQuaid then opened the scoring following a goalmouth scramble, and Harry Wedgewood-Potts doubled the lead with a tap-in.

Burnham were dominant and Lloyd Dean had a chance, but shot over.

In the second half the next goal was important, and Dean scored within a minute of the restart to all but kill the game.

The back four of Tommy Clarke, Steve Osgood, Kane Powell and Ollie Taylor worked hard to ensure James Fowler had a quiet game in goal.

Dean scored again and substitute Joe Wall completed the scoreline near the end.

Man of the match (sponsored by Fusion Leisure): Tommy Clarke


BERROW & Highbridge called off their match at Glastonbury as they were unable to raise a team.

The side have been on a downward spiral since winning their first five league matches, with this the nadir, and they will be hoping to get a team out for the rescheduled match this Saturday.