This tawny owl had a lucky escape after falling down a chimney - and getting stuck in a wood burner.

Stunned homeowners in Clevedon in Somerset called the RSPCA and an inspector advised them not to open the door of the stove for the bird to escape.

RSPCA inspector Kim Walters said: “We advised the caller not to open the woodburner door as there were no windows in the room for the owl to escape.

Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News:

“Fortunately once the owl had been freed I was able to release him back to the wild.

“To think that the owl fell all the way down the chimney and into the wood burner without any injuries is remarkable.”

The unharmed owl then ‘flue away’ after being released.