NOISY neighbours have caused more complaints to environmental health over the past year than anything else in Sedgemoor.

Last year, the district council received 447 noise complaints, everything from loud music in a pub to noisy house renovations at unsociable hours, causing stress and disturbance to residents.

Noise is second only to air pollution in the damage it does to public health and is more widespread.

The chief medical officer has likened noise pollution to junk food, saying “it doesn’t hit you on the day but it can accumulate and do you harm - noise can impact on sleep, affecting performance and mental health.”

To raise awareness and help cut complaints, Sedgemoor District Council is launching a Noise Action Week, running from May 21 to 26.

The council has also issued a list of tips for people bothered by noise, including:

  • If you have a noise problem, you may wish to approach your neighbour and explain politely that you are being troubled by the noise, often people are unaware that they are causing a problem and will be glad to reduce the noise. 
  • Alternatively, you may prefer to write to your neighbours.
  • If you are a tenant, there is usually an agreement requiring tenants not to cause a nuisance.
  • If the problem appears to be inadequate sound insulation, there are some suggested DIY measures available from the Building Research Council.
  • Mediation services such as Mediation Somerset may also be able to help.

A spokesman for Sedgemoor District Council added: "Housing providers, mediation services and the police are also frequently involved in resolving noise disputes - so this represents a huge amount of time and money.

"Preventing noise problems is much cheaper than curing them – and better for everyone’s health."

To report noise nuisance or any other form of anti-social behaviour please call Sedgemoor District Council on 0300 303 7800 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

Outside of these hours call the anti-social behaviour hotline on 0800 298 2009.

Alternatively, you can email

Homes in Sedgemoor tenants can report noise nuisance to Homes in Sedgemoor on 0800 585 360.