THE owner of a Highbridge TV shop said he is 'relieved' no one was hurt after a motorbike burst into flames outside his shop.

Mike Jones, owner of Mike Jones TV Services, was inside his shop on July 2 when he saw a man running away from a motorbike which had caught fire.

Firefighters from Bridgwater and Burnham-on-Sea were called to the shop on Church Street at 10.01am to fight the fire but sadly the front of the shop was destroyed and a number of TV's were destroyed.

"He was going past the shop and it burst into flames, he jumped off and dropped the bike and ran away from it," Mike said.

"He came running in to see if I had a fire extinguisher because the petrol tank on the bike went up in flames.

"The front of the shop is just gone, the blinds, the windows, a lot of the flames went upstairs so it is all black.

"We got out of the shop with about five minutes to spare, we were both really lucky."

Mike said he is not sure how much it will cost to repair the shop but thinks it will cost thousands.

He said he has reported the fire to his insurance company and said he hopes to reopen the shop as soon as possible.

"The shop is all boarded up and closed, we can't use it at the moment but I will continue with my servicing and repairs," Mike said.

"I couldn't tell you how much it will cost to repair all the damage but I think it will be thousands. I have reported it to my insurance company so we will wait and see.

"I am not sure how long I will be closed for but I can tell you it will reopen.

"These things happen, I am just grateful that nobody was hurt, it could have been a lot worse."