FIREFIGHTERS rushed to Axbridge after a person noticed flames coming from the top window of a property.

One fire engine from Cheddar, one from Wells and one from Burnham-on-Sea were sent to the incident in St Mary's Street at 11.58am on Wednesday (February 6).

As firefighters made their way to the property fire control received a number of calls which said flames were seen coming from the roof of the property and as a result fire control decided to send an Aerial Ladder Platform appliance to assist with roof access.

When the crews arrived they confirmed that there were no people in the property and the surrounding properties had also been evacuated.

Smoke was confirmed to be coming from the first floor of the property and crews used breathing apparatus to enter the property, one hose reel jet, one safety jet and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the fire.

At 12.36pm crews confirmed that a further hose reel jet was also in use and that the initial seat of the fire was now extinguished.

Firefighters continued to check for fire and awaited the arrival of the aerial appliance to assist in checking the roof area.

At 12.44pm crews confirmed that all of the fire had been extinguished and crews were using the aerial appliance to remove some roof tiles to check for any hot spots.

At 1.28pm firefighters confirmed that crews were still at work with the aerial appliance and safe working at heights equipment to replace some of the removed roof tiles to ensure the property was weather protected.

The fire service says the cause of the fire was accidental and the fire started in a first floor bedroom.

Crews confirmed the cause of the fire to be accidental and confirmed the fire started in a first floor bedroom.