SEVERAL people were treated for slight smoke inhalation and a property was damaged after a young child started a fire by playing with a cigarette lighter.

Firefighters from Burnham-on-Sea were called to Cuthbert Street in Highbridge at 6.49pm on Wednesday (June 12) following reports of a property fire.

Two fire engines were sent to the scene and when crews arrived they discovered there was a fire in a downstairs bedroom of the property.

Two crew members used breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to expel the smoke from the property.

After the fire was out firefighters administered first aid to several of the property's occupants who were suffering from slight smoke inhalation.

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Crews administered first aid to several of the occupants who had suffered slight smoke inhalation and one occupant who had suffered slight burns (superficial none life threatening).

"An ambulance was requested to attend and upon doing so they took over the care of the casualties.

"The cause of fire was deliberate, a young child playing with cigarette lighter.

"Damage to property was 5 per cent to bedroom and 20 per cent smoke damage to rest of property.

"Can we get to your house? please think this when parking this was a very tight street and made our approach very challenging."