A BURNHAM-on-Sea pub said it will be closed 'until further notice' after firefighters battled for hours to fight a fire at the venue.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service were called at 2.13pm on Saturday (June 15) following reports of a fire at The Rosewood Pub in Love Lane following reports of a kitchen fire.

Customers and staff were evacuated from the venue and multiple fire engines from Burnham-on-Sea and Bridgwater rushed along with an aerial ladder platform from Taunton to tackle the blaze.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of the venue, resulting in 'severe' damage to the property.

In a statement on social media, a spokesman for The Rosewood Pub said the venue will be closed 'until further notice.'

"Due to yesterday’s fire we are now closed until further notice," the spokesman said.

"If you have any questions regarding future bookings please email 8651@greeneking.co.uk and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Luckily no one was harmed in the incident.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said three fire engines were intially sent to the scene but more were requested after they discovered the fire was spreading.

"At the time of call fire alarms were activating and Fire Control confirmed that staff were in the process of evacuating staff and customers.

"At 2.31pm crews confirmed the fire was spreading to the roof and increased the attendance to six fire appliances, which attended from Street and Taunton, together with an incident command unit from Wiveliscombe.

"At 3.30pm the attendance was once again increased by a further two fire appliances, sent from Nether Stowey and Somerton (who were providing standby cover at Bridgwater fire station).

"At 4.40pm crews were making steady progress attempting to limit fire spread and protect adjacent buildings.

"At this time crews are fire fighting using hose reel jets and covering jets, as well as stripping roof tiles to access the fire, assisted by the aerial ladder platform.

"At 9.08pm the fire was extinguished and the cause deemed to be accidental.

"The property sustained severe damage by fire, heat and smoke. The fire was extinguished using 4 breathing apparatus sets, 3 hose reel jets, covering jets, and the aerial ladder platform."