A BRIDGWATER man has been sent down after admitting to driving dangerously and possessing an imitation firearm.

Jamie-Lee Owen, of 41 Campion Way, Bridgwater appeared at Taunton Crown Court on Thursday morning (August 29) where he was sentenced to a year in prison for the offences which happened in Highbridge on September 7 last year.

William Hunter, speaking for the prosecution, said the 26-year-old was driving his MG with a passenger when he pulled up and got into an argument with someone he knew at a bus stop in Highbridge, with the defendant shouting at the male from the car and indicating he had a pistol and the victim shouting back.

The victim ran away and the car sped off.

Meanwhile the police had been informed of the incident but when they tried to stop Owen's car, he 'panicked' and drove away from them, the court heard.

Defending Owen, Harry Ahuja said: "He saw the police officer approaching the car with a weapon, he says he was scared and drove away in panic."

Owen overtook cars in a short police pursuit before the police successfully pulled off a tactical stop pushing Owen's car into a hedge.

On investigation, the police found an air pistol belonging to Owen and he was arrested for dangerous driving as well as possessing an imitation firearm.

According to Mr Ahuja, Owen, who is currently serving time in Exeter prison relating to another matter, has been engaging with maths, English and art classes and putting in hours helping in the workshop and kitchen.

Owen said in the dock that he plans to turn his life around and wants to become a bin man when he leaves prison.

Judge David Ticehurst, sentencing, said to Owen: "You are your own worst enemy.

"You drove away when the police tried to stop you and you could have been killed.

"This incident would have been absolutely terrifying for the young man concerned."

Owen has previous convictions for dangerous driving and had been sentenced by Judge Ticehurst before.

"You are a pain in the neck and a nuisance and I am fed of dealing with you," Judge Ticehurst said.

He sentenced Owen to six months for dangerous driving, and six months consecutive for possessing an imitation firearm.

Owen was also disqualified from driving from 18 months from his release date and will have to take an extended re-test before he is allowed back on the roads.