An OAP hosted a sex party at his home - where a man died of a drug overdose, a court heard.

Robert Jones, 69, held the steamy gathering which was attended by Nicholas Hadley, 50, who spotted an advert online.

The bash, organised by Jones, had been posted on the website Fab Guys in December 2018.

Jones, from Longwell Green, Bristol, ordered GBL for the raunchy event at his home, which Hadley, from Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, then took.

But he died just hours later - and Jones was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

However, an investigation concluded that there had been no criminal negligence in the case and today (Weds) Jones pleaded guilty to supplying a Class C drug.

Judge Michael Longman fined him £750 with court costs of £275 at Bristol Crown Court.

He said: "You have expressed your regret and remorse as to the terrible outcome. I would like to express my own condolences to the family of Mr Hadley."

Jones declined to comment as he left court.

James Haskell, prosecuting, said Jones used Fab Guys to place an advert in December last year.

Mr Haskell said: "He advertised a house party inviting participants to join him for consensual sexual activity.

"Nicholas Hadley attended. In the early hours of the next morning the defendant called 999, requesting an ambulance.

"Paramedics arrived at 6.50am. Sadly Mr Hadley was pronounced dead at 7.30am, despite attempts to resuscitate him."

Initially Jones lied to police, saying he spotted a man outside his home who appeared to be drunk and tried to help him, the court heard.

In a subsequent statement Jones stated he met the deceased online and communicated with him about coming to the address.

Mr Haskell said: "He accepted he had given the deceased a Class C drug with his consent.

"The defendant was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

"A post-mortem confirmed death was caused by a large overdose of GBL.

"No negligence was attributed to this defendant."

Jones told police Mr Hadley requested to use GBL, which Jones bought from Germany three weeks previously and had used prior to the party.

GBL, which is associated with the 'chemsex' scene, has effects which last around an hour, but doses are difficult to judge.

Just 1ml is enough to cause intoxication and a loss of inhibitions, while higher amounts can lead to blackouts or overdosing.

Jones, representing himself, said: "I would like to say how sorry I am regarding Mr Hadley's death.

"It should not have happened.

"Its been a difficult time for me, but obviously nothing compared to his family.

"I feel for them and I'd like to apologise to them."

He added he would find a curfew difficult because, as a committee member for several societies, he wished to rebuild his life attending evening meetings.

He offered to fully pay any financial penalty immediately.