A YOUNG woman was pulled unconscious from the water onto the beach in the early hours of this morning.

Watchet Coastguard members were called out at 2.15am to undertake a search and rescue to the incident to the west of Hinkley Point Power Station .

Using the what3words system, the first informant was able to provide an exact location for the area of beach and coast where they were, allowing the coastguards to proceed direct to the scene, accessed via fields and coastal tracks to the isolated location.

The coastguards proceeded in their 4x4 vehicle down onto the beach before fetching two paramedics.

The unconscious female was close to the water line accompanied by some of her friends, who outlined what had happened.

Immediate care was performed while also abiding by the current COVD guidance with coastguards wearing additional PPE.

Paramedics stabilised the victim and requested our team to use our cliff rescue stretcher to immobilise and convey the female back to the safety of the shore and to a land ambulance.

A Watchet Coastguard spokesman said: "Safety advice was given to the remaining young adults who were encamped out at this location and had been having a party.

"Local police had already been despatched to attend and deal with the party goers.

"We would remind anyone tempted to swim in the sea especially at night not to do so, particularly where intoxicating liquor or other substances or medication are involved.

"This can impair your judgement and ability to recognise dangers or deal with the cold conditions of the sea.

"Please only visit lifeguarded beaches and with the current COVID guidance don’t overcrowd and keep your distances."

He added that many of the team were back at base shortly before having to head off to their full time jobs.

A spokesman for South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust said: "We were called on Friday at 2.03am about an incident near Hinkley Point, Somerset.

"The caller reported to us that a female had been pulled from the water and was unconscious.

"Our teams treated the patient at the scene and transported her to hospital by land ambulance."