A DOG was rescued from a property after a fire started in a rear bedroom.

Crews from Wells and Shepton Mallet were called to Churchill Close, Wells, at just after 6pm yesterday (July 29) after reports of smoke coming from the rear of a bungalow.

They said there was no response when knocking on the door.

"Shortly after arriving, the attendance was increased by a further fire appliance from Glastonbury to support breathing apparatus wearers who had entered the property to search for any occupants and locate the source of the fire," said a Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson.

"They soon confirmed that all persons were accounted for and the dog was led to safety."

The fire was brought under control by around 7.35pm and the crews managed to prevent the fire - which started accidentally in a rear bedroom - from spreading.

"The fire, which started accidentally, filled the property with smoke and once the area safe was made safe, crews ventilated the property, before leaving duty of care with the occupant who returned home during the incident," the spokesperson added.