A BEDROOM has been completed destroyed after a fire broke out this morning (May 25).

Two fire engines from Burnham-on-Sea and one from Bridgwater attended the incident on The Causeway, Mark, Highbridge.

A passer-by stopped to help the resident of the property.

They confirmed the fire was involving a mattress in the home, and that everyone had managed to get out safely.

"On arrival crews confirmed the property to be fully smoke logged and crews set to work with two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and two main jets," said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue.

"By 11.30am, there were four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

"By 11.39am, fire crews requested an ambulance for a woman who was suffering from smoke inhalation and minor burns.

"By 11.48am, an ambulance was attending to and assessing the casualty. And the fire was extinguished and natural ventilation of the property was taking place.

"The property has sustained 100 per cent fire damage to the bedroom where the fire originated, 100 per cent smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

"The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental but fire investigators remain on scene carrying out further investigations."