Somerset County League
Division 1 West
Burnham United 0, Glastonbury 0

BURNHAM United were left to rue missed chances and a contentious penalty decision as they drew 0-0 at home to mid-table rivals Glastonbury.

The hosts started brightly and were unlucky not to take the lead after six minutes, as a stray backpass was pounced on by Jamie Merrick, whose right-footed strike went just wide.

Merrick was also fouled halfway through the first half in the box, but the referee waved away the penalty appeal.

Still, they nearly took the lead from an Elliot Lamb 20-yard free-kick, which hit the underside of the bar just before the half-time break.

The second half was a carbon copy of the first, with both teams' defences proving hard to break down.

On 65 minutes Glastonbury came close, but a point-blank save from Will Lamb and a goal-line clearance from Harry Penfold kept the scores level.

Then, 75 minutes, the visiting keeper saved well from substitute Jordie Eldridge's snapshot, before United came agonisingly close to all three points with five minutes left, as Eldridge broke down the right and crossed to Joe Selway, whose strike went just past the post.

Man of the match (sponsored by Fusion Leisure): Will Lamb

Weston-super-Mare & District League
League Knockout Cup
Burnham United A 2, Yatton and Cleeve A 2 (5-6 on penalties)

BURNHAM'S A team were knocked out of the cup following the lottery of a penalty shootout against a team two divisions higher than them.

The scoreline was 0-0 at half time, with Burnham being the better team, but Yatton scored right at the start of the second half.

Yet, on 75 minutes, Joe Wall beat his man and his cross was turned into the net by a Yatton defender, forcing extra time.

With five minutes to go, Shaun Lismore was fouled in the box and Steve Eley converted the spot-kick, only for Yatton to push forward and equalise with the last kick of the game.

Eley, Lismore, Jack Shepherd, Kane Powell and Lloyd Dean scored their penalties in the shootout, but Wall and Jesse McQuaid missed, and keeper John Lane could only save one kick.

Weston-super-Mare & District League
Division 5
Nailsea United C 1, Burnham B 2

A POOR start in poor conditions saw the B team go a goal behind in the 10th minute, but they got the important equaliser just before half time through Daniel Giblett, following an assist from player-manager Jeff Smith.

During the second half veteran midfielder James Reddish scored the winner, and the visitors battled through the last 10 minutes to hold onto the three points, aided by solid defending from man of the match Kieran McLauchlan.


Somerset County League
Division 1 West
Worle 22, Berrow & Highbridge 0

BERROW & Highbridge suffered a second successive crushing defeat at Worle on Saturday, shipping 22 goals.

Having lost 16-0 to Somerton the week before, Worle's romp to victory made it 38 goals conceded in two games for the B&H team.

Ryan Down and Ryan Hodrien led the way for the hosts, with five goals apiece.

B&H are 13th in the table, nine points ahead of second-bottom Clevedon United Reserves.