Somerset FA Senior Cup
Third round
Uphill Castle 2, Burnham Utd 2
Burnham win 9-8 on penalties

BURNHAM United progressed to the Somerset Senior Cup quarter-finals after a nail-biting penalty shootout win at Uphill Castle.

In appalling conditions, both teams produced an entertaining match, and Burnham went ahead early in the first half through Mike Stevens’ strike.

The visitors worked hard in pushing for a second, with Ryan Stiles going close with a right-footed strike just past the post, and Charlie Harding testing the Uphill goalkeeper from 25 yards.

However, Uphill scored just before half-time with Will Sneddon’s free-kick from just outside the area making it 1-1.

Burnham started the second half like the first, trying to play football despite the conditions.

Midway through the half, a Harding corner from the left was met by Russell Holley to put the Seasiders in front, but Sneddon equalised with 10 minutes to go to take the tie to penalties.

Both teams scored their first five penalties each, taking it to sudden death.

Burnham missed their seventh but Fraser McDiarmid saved the Uphill penalty; the goalkeeper then scored Burnham’s 10th penalty and saved the following spot-kick to send Burnham through.

Fusion Man of the Match: Mike Stevens

Burnham host Wells City Reserves in a County League Division 1 match this Saturday (ko 2.30pm).

Uhlsport Somerset County League
Division 3
Draycott 2, Burnham Utd Res 4

DESPITE the driving rain, Burnham Reserves made it back-to-back wins on Saturday.

They took an early lead via quick work down the left wing, Marcus Ellis finding Josh Watkins, who put Curtis Bradshaw through on goal to give Burnham a deserved lead.

Five minutes later, from a Ellis free-kick, Bradshaw turned provider as he squared to Tommy Clarke, who found the bottom corner for his third in two games.

The visitors then made it 3-0, Jaymie Whitehouse setting up Bradshaw to delicately chip the onrushing keeper.

Draycott’s misery was compounded by an off-the-ball incident, leaving them with 10 men going into the interval.

Down but certainly not out, the home side battled back via two long-range goals – one exquisite and one via a cruel deflection.

With Will Lamb keeping Draycott at bay, he turned provider with five minutes to go.

Lamb made a sublime save before quickly finding brother, Elliot, who patiently waited for Whitehouse to be clean through on goal; he made no mistake giving Burnham a deserved win.

Fusion Man of the Match: Will Lamb

Weston-super-Mare & District League
Division 3
Burnham A 3, Sporting Weston Reserves 3

DESPITE the tough conditions, Cain Smith had a few early chances but just couldn’t find the back of the net.

However, Sporting went 2-0 ahead before Smith finally scored following a mazy solo run.

Then, a fine first-time finish from Harry Wedgewood made it 2-2 at half-time.

Sporting scored first after the break and had long spells of possession, but Burnham continued to look for the equaliser and were rewarded through Harvey Barnshaw scoring a last-minute, cheeky header.

Fusion Man of the Match: Cain Smith