BEN Green announced himself as a T20 player for Somerset with 4-26 in an eight-wicket Vitality Blast Central Group win over Glamorgan under the floodlights at the Cooper Associates County Ground, Taunton, on Tuesday night.

The 22-year-old Devonian seamer, making only his third appearance in the competition, numbered Glamorgan’s top-scorer Chris Cooke (42) among his victims as the visitors were restricted to a modest 133-8 after losing the toss.

Josh Davey claimed 2-17 in an impressive Somerset bowling performance, and the hosts made short work of their target, racing to 134-2 in just 16.1 overs.

Skipper Tom Abell led the way with 74*, his unbroken stand of 110 with James Hildreth (34*) assuring Somerset of their first win in the group.

Having been put in, the visitors saw Dan Douthwaite fall for a first ball duck to Max Waller’s second delivery of the match, a flighted googly that pinned the batsman lbw.

By the end of the six-over power play, the visitors were 39-3, Andy Balbirnie (17) having miscued a pull to be caught at mid-wicket off Ollie Sale, and Billy Root carving a catch to Green at cover off Josh Davey.

Cooke did his best to raise the tempo with sixes over deep square off Sale and Green, but there was little support at the other end.

Kiran Carlson was caught at deep mid-wicket to become Green’s first victim and at the halfway point of their innings Glamorgan had posted 62-4.

Cooke and Callum Taylor then added 26, but the 13th over saw Taylor mistime a ramp shot to be caught off Green for 12.

Any hope Glamorgan had of reaching a respectable total disappeared when Cooke, who had eased his way to 42 off 34 balls, drove a catch to extra cover off Green in the 15th over.

Andrew Salter was caught at long-off for the second first ball duck of the innings, giving Green his fourth wicket.

Marchant de Lange (28*) produced some belligerent blows, but it was too little, too late to give Glamorgan a competitive total.

Somerset immediately had more momentum to their batting, despite losing George Bartlett and Steve Davies in the opening six overs.

By the end of the powerplay their score was 47-2, with the experienced Hildreth and captain Abell running well between the wickets and content to wait for a loose ball.

At the end of 10 overs, Somerset were coasting on 81-2, needing only 5.3 runs an over for victory.

Abell moved to a fluent half-century from 30 balls, with Hildreth content to play a supporting role, and the skipper brought up the century stand with six over long-off.

Victory was secured with 23 balls to spare, with Abell and Hildreth's partnership an object lesson in scoring quickly without resorting to unorthodox shots.

Somerset's Ben Green said afterwards: ""It is the first time I have taken four wickets for the first team in any competition so I am delighted.

"We have such good bowling options that I can't be sure whether I will be used for one over or four, but tonight the skipper gave me and Ollie Sale a great opportunity.

"When someone as good as Craig Overton doesn't bowl his full quota, it says a lot about the other bowlers.

"We executed our skills well and tried not to give the Glamorgan batsmen room to free their hands.

"Tom Abell then played a captain's innings, scoring quickly without taking any risks.

"It was a good win for us and confidence in the camp is high ahead of our next game."

Somerset travel to take on Worcestershire Rapids tomorrow (Thursday), before hosting Birmingham Bears 24 hours later.