DESPITE missing a few players due to Covid, Chard were still able to put out a very strong squad for this match and the entire team could not be faulted for effort but on the day Burnham were without doubt the better all round team and deserved to win the game, writes Glyn Hughes.

Arguably they were probably the best team to visit Chard so far this season and their forwards in particular gave the Chard eight a run for their money throughout the game with a very aggressive and powerful display.

Burnham took an early lead when some good forward play gained ground down the right and aided by some missed tackles the Burnham number eight Ashley Cutter crossed in the corner; Tim Piper missed the conversion.

It wasn’t long before Chard got into their stride and levelled things up, they were awarded a penalty 30m out and a well rehearsed move allowed Huw Edwards to carve through the visitors defence to score a delightful but unconverted try.

Burnham scored a second try midway through the half and it was nearly a carbon copy of their first with again Cutter scoring in the corner and Piper added the conversion points this time.

The battle between the forwards tipped in Chards favour shortly before the interval when Burnham lost a player to the bin after one of their front row forwards totally disagreed with a decision made by the referee and was rightly yellow carded.

Chard were awarded a penalty but chose to take the scrummage and drove Burnham back over their own line with Garion Woodcock getting the touchdown.

Chard would have taken this score at the break but in the dying seconds of the half they allowed Burnham to break through and that man Cutter scored his third try again converted by Piper.

Therefore at half time the score was 10-19 in favour of the visitors.

Almost immediately after the interval Piper increased Burnham’s lead with a penalty which had been awarded for a dangerous tackle.

Soon after, fly half Niall Crouch made a decisive break down the left wing and scored a fine individual effort in the corner. He narrowly missed converting his own try but at 15-22 Chard were right back in the game.

Chard were then disrupted when Dave Biss was shown a yellow card, and his replacement Jon Hendy had to leave the field shortly after through injury.

Burnham took full advantage and forced their way over for a bonus point converted try from front rower Stefan Pearce and soon after Piper added a late penalty to put the result in no doubt.

Chard have now narrowly lost three games in a row and Burnham have now pushed Chard down into 3rd place in the league.

They will be hoping to get back to winning ways when they visit local rivals Wiveliscombe next weekend, that game kicks off at 2.30pm on Saturday.