Regional 2 Tribute South West: Burnham-on-Sea 23-18 Teignmouth

BURNHAM-on-Sea RFC recorded an important win at home on Saturday (November 5) against Teignmouth RFC.

The match ended 23-18 in favour of the Stags and the win lifted them off the bottom of the Regional 2 Tribute South West division.

It was a close fought battle as both sides created opportunities to score, but after a late red card, Burnham consolidated to hold on to the win.

There was a big milestone for front rower Stefan Pierce as he pulled on the jersey for the 100th time.

His teammate and Club vice chairman Tim Piper said: "Joining us back in 2018 he has been ever present in the front row being a rock at scrum time and a boulder in the loose.

"His game has gone from strength to strength with us and we hope to get another 100 more from him. Well done Stef!"

Burnham started the match strongly and were in front after just 10 minutes played.

Quick hands from the set piece down the back line allowed Ryan Beard to slip a couple of tackles and score out wide. Scott Havercroft slotted the conversion to make it 7-0.

Teignmouth pulled three points back with a penalty shortly after but the Stags extended the lead when Beard crossed for a second which Havercroft converted for 14-3.

Havercroft scored a penalty conversion shortly before half time to make the score 17-3 at the break and bring to an end a very strong half for Burnham.

In the second period it began a little bit slower paced as Teignmouth looked to turn the tide on the hosts.

A penalty was scored by both sides in quick succession early in the second half and the score was 20-6.

From there though, the visitors gained some momentum and were putting pressure on the Burnham defence. The pressure paid as they ran in two tries, one converted to bring the scores to 20-18.

With time running out, Burnham were on the ropes when an unfortunate red card was shown to Sam Wall after head contact in the tackle.

That meant for the remaining ten or so minutes the hosts had to play a man down.

No matter though as the team put in a remarkable defensive performance to not only nullify the opposition but earn a penalty which Havercroft scored to see the match finish 23-18.

All in all a strong win for Burnham who will now look to carry that into next weeks match against Topsham away from home on Saturday, November 11.