Regional 2 Tribute South West: Burnham-on-Sea 5-38 Sidmouth

BURNHAM-on-Sea RFC were defeated at home at the weekend against Sidmouth RFC.

The Stags put in an improved performance and truly fought hard throughout the match and the scoreline didn't truly represent the story of the game.

The match was a part of the club's inaugural charity weekend, in aid of In Charley's Memory.

The club will be making donations via gate receipts, raffle tickets and donation pots dotted around the ground to the charity.

Burnham started the game well with good cover tackling from Jamie Whitehouse and good meters made ball in hand from the forward pack.

However Sidmouth were able to put the hosts under some early pressure which was well defended on the line keeping the visitors out.

Sidmouth kept pressing but Mike Walton targeted the ball in a tackle and Watkins cleared the lines.

After clearing their lines, Burnham moved the ball forward and Jamie Whitehouse broke the line to score a great effort which Scott Havercroft just missing the conversion. 5-0.

Before half time Sidmouth ran in three tries to build up a solid lead over Burnham.

From some more pressure and a quick tap penalty, Sidmouth crossed for their first try, it was unconverted for 5-5.

Then Sidmouth squeezed through on the outside for 5-12, and followed that up with a try off a lineout to make it 5-17 at half time.

It was a tough score line for Burnham at half time, but they were really staying in the fight against a team top of the league.

The hosts spent the first 10 minutes of the second half camped on Sidmouth's defensive line and forced a number of turnovers.

That continued throughout the bulk of the half in truth and Burnham were in control of possession but were unable to score another try.

Sidmouth really looked under pressure in the half but as top teams do, they weathered the storm and were able to run in three tries right at the death to confirm the win.

It was a very competitive game for 70 minutes but the visitors were able to make the most of their chances and defended well.

What was good to see was the fight in the Burnham players, the score line definitely did not reflect the effort from the Stags.

Next up for Burnham is an away trip to Teignmouth in the Regional 2 Tribute South West on Saturday, February 17.