Regional 2 Tribute South West: Truro 10- 3 Burnham-on-Sea

BURNHAM-on-Sea RFC fought hard at the weekend in their match away from home against Truro RFC.

They made the long journey to Cornwall where they were beaten 10-3 in the Regional Two Tribute South West division.

The low scoring affair was stark contrast to Burnham's most recent matches and it highlighted an improved performance from the Stags.

In the match, it was Burnham who took the lead as they converted a penalty early in the first half to go 0-3 up.

However before the break, Truro managed to cross for an unconverted try and were in front at half time.

It was a promising start for bottom of the league Burnham up against a team in sixth place in the league table.

And it continued in the second period as Burnham looked strong defensively. They won another penalty which was unconverted.

The score remained 5-3 right up until the last knockings of the match up as both sides defended well in fact.

Going forward was perhaps where the issues were highlighted as both teams were unable to create strong attacking moves.

Right at the death, the hosts snagged a second unconverted try to seal a 10-3 win at home.

It was a respectable performance from Burnham though as they conceded 30 plus points in their previous three matches.

Of course, they remain at the bottom of the table, with just two games remaining in the league it is likely they will be relegated, but not guaranteed just yet.

Their final two matches are in the weeks ahead, and their final home match is on Saturday, 23 March as they host Wadebridge Camels.

The final league game of the season is on Saturday, 6 April away from home against Wellington.

Burnham-on-Sea RFC: Alex Watkins, Ryan Beard, Scott Havercroft, Scott Beard, Harry Macdonald, Timothy Piper, Samuel Lewis, Mike Walton, Adam Peters, Stefan Pierce, Michael Hocking, Luke Gowan, Felix Grandfield, Samuel Everett, Ross McKechan.

Subs: Michael Forward, Jaymie Whitehouse, Robin Mccord.

Elsewhere, in the Counties 3 Tribute Somerset South, Burnham-on-Sea Seconds won a narrow battle away from home against Cheddar Valley.

The match between two local rivals finished 6-7 in favour of Burnham as they were able to hold firm and seal the win.

In the first half, Cheddar Valley were able to convert two penalties to pick up a 6-0 lead.

But in the second period, Burnham were able to play some more expansive rugby and the chances they created paid off.

Half way through the half Sam Wall picked up the ball and charged up field before passing on to Brandon Pettitt to score. Toby Fear slotted the conversion to put Burnham up 6-7.