BURNHAM United fell to a disappointing away defeat to Minehead in the Uhlsport Somerset County League.

The game took place on April 27 with the home side securing a 2-0 victory against a higher-placed Burnham side.

The early game belonged to Minehead as The Blues started the match on an aggressive note, repeatedly pressuring the Burnham defence.

Notably, Toby Waghorn and Rob Vickers posed a significant threat, narrowly missing the target on multiple occasions, only to be denied by a vigilant Burnham goalkeeper, Dylan Webb.

Subsequent to an injury to left-back Martyn Phillips, Minehead made a tactical switch, bringing on Dan Vickers to replace him.

Rob Vickers took up a defensive role, foreshadowing a shift in momentum.

Burnham's formidable defence line held up against Minehead's aggressive game plan until the 25th minute, when they crafted their first genuine scoring opportunity.

Undeterred, Minehead keeper, Jack Harding, confidently defended his territory by denying Burnham a goal with a swift save.

Guy Burns created successive goal opportunities, first shooting narrowly wide, and then blasting a robust shot over the bar, leaving Webb, the Burnham goalkeeper, helpless.

Minehead then broke the deadlock 10 minutes before half-time.

Burns assisted Rob Vickers who cut the ball back to Sam Jackson.

The young player showcased his agility and confidence by turning and flicking the ball into the back of the net, recording his first Somerset County League goal.

Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News:

Then 10 minutes into the second half, Jackson doubled Minehead's lead.

His corner kick curled home against the wind, scoring without assistance from any other player.

Faced with a challenging two-goal deficit, Burnham reacted by elevating their gameplay and maintaining strong possession.

They attacked relentlessly, attempting to turn the tide but were stifled by the sturdy defence of Minehead.

This victory marked Minehead's second win in a four-match unbeaten streak.

The achievement must come as a confidence booster for the team, who had been struggling with an 11-match winless streak prior to this.

Minehead's manager, Craig Carr, was proud of the way his team has progressed.

The tactful blend of young, energetic players with the seasoned gaming wisdom of the veterans proved highly effective.